Americans love to celebrate and what better excuse than to create crazy national holidays? Now, don’t get us wrong, some of these days bring up legitimate issues, but others are just plain nonsense. Here is a list of this week’s “holidays” in review:
- No Salt Week – October 3-10, 2016
“Welcome to McDonald’s how can I help you?”
2. Mental Illness Awareness Week – October 2-8, 2016
Serious stuff, we grant that this week may proceed as usual.
3. Mystery Series Week – October 2-8, 2016 (First Full Week of October)
I wish I knew what this week was about, such a cliffhanger.
4. National Carry a Tune Week – 2-8, 2016
Let’s gather round the campfire and sing the campfire song! The c.a.m.p f.i.r.e s.o.n.g song
5. International Post Card Week – October 2-8, 2016 (First Full Week)
Cool, but in America, we send texts.
6. National Midwifery Week – October 2-8, 2016 (Sunday to Saturday During the First Full Week)
How exactly does one celebrate this week?
7. National Chili Week – First Week of October
Sorry I prefer chicken noodle soup
8. National Chimney Safety Week – October 2-8, 2016 (Week before Fire Prevention Week)
Hey, the stores already have Christmas decorations out, it’s time we get the chimney ready for Santa.
9. National Fallen Firefighters Memorial Weekend – October 8-9, 2016
Fair enough, due respect for this one.
10. Customer Service Week – October 3-7, 2016
Finally, a day where the obnoxious customer is always right. Wait…
11. Kid’s Goal Setting Week – October 3-7, 2016
Just this week only, don’t get carried away, children.
12. National Heimlich Heroes Week – October 3-7, 2016 (First Full Monday through Friday Week)
This holiday has me all choked up.
13. Spinning & Weaving Week – October 3-9, 2016 (First Full Week, Monday through Sunday)
Can you wrap your head around this? We can.
14. National Healthcare Food Service Workers Week – October 3-9, 2016
This is oddly specific.
15. Financial Planning Week – October 3-9, 2016 (First Mon-Sun Week in October)
And to celebrate, the juniors and seniors had a financial aid meeting Wednesday night. Hey, nice work Blue Hill, perfect timing!
16. World Space Week – October 4-10
Now is the time to give your significant other the space they truly need
17. World Dairy Expo – October 4-8, 2016 (First Tuesday – Sunday)
I believe it’s customary to celebrate by eating lots of ice cream. I’ll be at Dairy Queen if you need me.
18. National Physician Assistants Week – October 6-12
This may be the future for some of our students after the UNK Health Fair, so let’s all take a moment to celebrate this week.